Friday 9 March 2012

INDEX OF A DEATH


     As the spattering raindrops made their way down the window-pane, my eyes followed their watery trail. It is so hard to forget things you dearly want to. The cherished memories of the past fast become the present’s gateways to insanity.

      I remember her, as she stood in front of me. So vibrant. So lively. So full of life. So beautiful….. in her flower-printed dress and straw hat, her lips giving me that dimpled smile I fell in love with her for. Her hair flowing….buffeted by a non-existent breeze. Her eyes, the delicious colour of honey. That’s how I remember her. The last time I saw her







….alive.
    
       My memory suddenly fast-forwards. I was entering an unbearably cold room with the ostentatious smell of chemicals attacking my nostrils. The doctor was younger than me, but he was rock steady. Anyway it wasn’t him who had gone deathly pale on being surrounded by cadavers, one of whom was the love I’d give my life for. I was led to those tables having the fresh arrivals in the morning, the spotless white sheet stained with a fresh red. He removed one of the sheets, and I stared down at her ageless beauty. She was so serene, so lovely….even in death, that Hades would have a hard time keeping his hands off her. Her skin felt icy-cold and unresponsive as I caressed a finger down her cheek. My eyes came to rest at her forehead. There right between her eyes was the bullet-hole….










Made by the bullet from my gun.

    A thunder-clap and  lightning flash breaks my reverie. To clear my head, I look down, and notice, on my right hand, the stub of skin and muscle where once an index finger stood. Justice is always brought to the culprit, even if that culprit is only an index finger…………

No comments:

Post a Comment